DirtRiding

A discussion of OHV trails, off-road dirt bikes, and discovering new places to ride for families.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Watkins

Visited the Watkins Race Park east of Denver this weekend. Great weather! However, it was exceptionally crowded. I spoke with a few of the regular riders, and they said they had never seen it so busy.

Basically, Watkins has 3 tracks:

A short, technical, "beginners" track. Very little air, but good technical turns and bumps.

An mid-level track that is actually very fun, and has some very good jumps. Tough when crowded, but gives you the option of riding around the toughest berms.

An advanced Supercross caliber track. I didn't get a chance to ride this, as it also was very crowded with some very good riders...I didn't want to mix it up with them without really scouting the track first.

Unfortunately, I saw a couple of accidents...one 8 year old (I think) was airlifted out by helicopter. I don't know what happened to him, but another rider said he was awake and moving...hopefully a good sign. His accident happened on the Supercross track. When it was that crowded, I am surprise that parents let these kids do that.

Anyway, nice facility, and plenty of challenge. Not difficult to access, either. Take Jewell west from E470 (just south of I70) about 4 miles...on the left (north) side. They charge $10 bucks a head, less if it's 80cc or smaller. Bring plenty of water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home